ACDA, BHS, Chorus America, and NATS have been collaborating since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic to provide our members in the singing profession with the best and most current guidance from the CDC, as well as the latest research on singing and COVID-19. While each of our organizations has kept its own membership updated, this email is designed to share the latest resources from each organization with all of our combined membership.
We continue to urge individuals and groups to appropriately assess the personal and organizational risk factors of operating in various settings so that we can all do our part in returning to our stages and rehearsals in a safe manner, while continuing to reduce the impact of COVID-19 on our lives and our art.
Joint Statement on SARS-CoV-2 Vaccinations and Best Health Practices
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
The CDC issued updated masking guidance as of July 27, 2021, in response to new evidence on the Delta variant currently circulating in the United States. They recommend that all people, including the fully vaccinated, wear a mask in public indoor settings in areas of substantial or high transmission (96% of counties in the U.S. as of August 23). Fully vaccinated people might choose to wear a mask regardless of the level of transmission, particularly if they are immunocompromised or at increased risk for severe disease from COVID-19, or if they have someone in their household who is immunocompromised, at increased risk of severe disease, or not fully vaccinated. CDC recommends universal indoor masking for all teachers, staff, students, and visitors to schools, regardless of vaccination status. The CDC continues to recommend that people without vaccines mask, distance, and take other precautions, as well as avoiding specific situations.
American Choral Directors Association (ACDA)
- COVID-19 Mitigation Strategies for Choir. A three-minute video sharing results from research by the University of Colorado and University of Maryland, which ACDA helped sponsor.
- Resources for Choral Professionals During the Pandemic. A curated page of resources, guidance, complimentary choral music, and planning tools.
- COVID-19 ACDA Response Committee Report (June 15, 2020). Guidance and a statement of support for choral singing and study during the pandemic, with protocols for MS/JH upper elementary schools, senior high schools, collegiate choirs, community choirs (youth and adult), and music in worship.
Barbershop Harmony Society (BHS)
- COVID-19 Resources for Barbershoppers. The latest resources, guidance, and planning for ensembles.
- BHS’s Pandemic Reopening Roundtable Discussion. Learn how 4 BHS choruses are managing safely reopening in their community.
- BHS’s Barbershop Live at Home Event. Singing virtually is FUN: Vocal Warm-ups, Tech Tips, Archive Video, Tags, and more! Perfect for all singing levels!
- What’s Next: Preparing for a Healthy, Safe Reopening. A panel of doctors with experience advising performing arts organizations and choruses shared the latest updates in COVID developments and vaccination efforts at Chorus America’s June 2021 conference.
- Prepare for Fall: Public Health Updates and Member Forums. Starting in late August, Chorus America will host a series of events to help choruses stay on top of COVID-19 developments and planning for the fall. Events include public conversations with doctors advising performing arts organizations, and Member Forums on September 14 and 16.
- Reopening Decisions: How Choral Leaders Are Bringing Singers Back Together. This article from the Summer Voice shares a framework for making difficult decisions about masks, distancing, vaccinations, waivers, and other safety protocols the course of the season.
- COVID-19 Resource Page. Find the latest guidance and resources, as well as examples of waivers and other documents from member choruses.
National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS)
Reentry After COVID-19: Concerns for Singers. A June 23, 2021, webinar, which was a sequel to the 2020 NATS webinar After COVID: Concerns for Singers.
- Reentry Following COVID-19: Concerns for Singers. A Journal of Singing pre-publication article (by D. Meyer, J. Nix, L. Helding et al.) that is a follow-up to the webinar.
- #FightTheFatigue Campaign. NATS continues to communicate the importance of positive messaging and fighting the fatigue with messages you can share on social media to support one another and encourage the singing community during this time.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.