News and Notices
- Postmark Deadline: March 1, 2010
- $1,000.00 and at least two performances by Meistersingers
- Archival recording for winner’s use toward publishing
- Possible commercial recording by Meistersingers
- There is a $25.00 entry fee
- Submission Guidelines:
- Complete Competition Submission Form (can be downloaded from www.meistersingers.org)
- Original Composition for 4-8 part a cappella choir (further divisi possible/range is not an issue)
- No Text Restrictions (include translation if not in English)
- 4-8 minutes long
- Must be a world premiere performance (rehearsal read-throughs are acceptable)
- No restriction on nationality
- Anonymous Submission
- Remove all names (except poet, if necessary) and identifying marks;
- Provide a sealed envelope containing your name, address, email, the title and performance history of the piece (if applicable), and phone number.
- Submit a legible, photo-copy ready, score with piano reduction for rehearsal purposes
- including a recording (MIDI, piano, etc.) is strongly encouraged but not required.
- If text is not in public domain, composer is responsible for including written permission to use it
- Selection Process:
- The Music Director/Conductor shall review all scores received.
- A Selection Committee, consisting of members chosen by the Music Director/Conductor and Board, shall review many of the scores received
- The decision of the Music Director/Conductor and Selection Committee will be final.
- Winning Composer will be notified by March 15, 2010
- Other Items of Interest:
- The winning composition is scheduled to be performed in June of 2010 in the Southern California area. Meistersingers encourages the composer’s attendance and cooperation in media publicity and press coverage.
- The winning composer must provide a final performance score by April 1st, 2010.
- Meistersingers shall make 32 copies for the chorus, director, and rehearsal accompanist.
- There are no restrictions according to race, sex, or age.
- Text may be in any language, however, see “Selection” Addendum above.
- If materials are desired to be returned, please enclose a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope.
- A composer may submit more than one piece.
- Meistersingers reserves the right not to select a winning composition and/or award a prize.
- Textual choices of a “profound, serious, or otherwise meaningful nature” are preferred.
- A brief description of Meistersingers, including Mission Statement and type of literature performed, can be found on their website: www.meistersingers.org
- Download the application for the competition (found at www.meistersingers.org), complete it fully and submit it before the deadline.
- Send all Submissions to:
- Meistersingers, Inc.
- 2010 Choral Composition Competition
- 8941 Atlanta Avenue #187
- Huntington Beach, CA 92646
CANTATICA, Allentown, PA, is pleased to announce the appointment of Maureen Scullion as Chair of its newly formed Board of Directors. Ms. Scullion is Vice President of Heritage Investment Portfolio, LP and Central Bucks Management Services, LLC. While her past nine years have been spent in the real estate field, her career has included over 20 years experience in the arts, with emphasis on non-profit management and organization development. Her experience has included management positions with several non-profit arts organizations including; Chorus America in Philadelphia, The Magnet and Lantern Theater companies and Momentum Productions. She also served as Assistant to the President of the American Boychoir School in Princeton, NJ. In addition to her work with non-profit organizations, Ms. Scullion spent several years as a theater Director, directing productions in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, North Carolina and Tennessee. She is thrilled to have been named Board Chair of CANTATICA, a new, progressive, non-profit, professional chamber music organization devoted to broadening the scope of choral, vocal and instrumental music. She is also a member of the Heritage Theater Company, a new production company in the Philadelphia area.
More information about CANTATICA, Michael Tamte-Horan, Artistic Director and Conductor, can be found at: www.cantatica.org.
i. Board is necessary to oversee operations on the website, as well as to develop new projects (Copeland)ii. Incorporation of ChoralNet Board into the ACDA Technology Committee will give the committee a dedicated subcommittee to handle all web-based initiatives. (Feiszli)iii. ChoralNet Committee will still have a great deal of autonomy in the direction of this entity (Feiszli and Copeland)iv. Subcommittees do not have term limits, as committees do (Copeland)
a. Albinder – Forb. Bullen – Forc. Copeland – Ford. Ekberg – Fore. Tropp – For