News and Notices
When the NC Governor’s School is able to raise donations to purchase the school supplies needed they will also write personal notes to the people at the school, and also record their performance of Haitian music and place CDs in the packages as well.
Here is how you can help this project by making a donation (hopefully a bit before we finish the session July 24th): donation checks should be written to “NC Governor’s School East” and put “Haiti school supplies” on the memo line.
Mail your contribution ASAP (any size appreciated) to:
Dr. Michael McElreath
NC Governor’s School East
3800 Hillsborough Av
Seattle’s Choral Arts, directed by Robert Bode, has won the 2010 American Prize in Choral Performance and Choral Conducting (community division). And Seattle Pro Musica, directed by Karen P. Thomas, tied for second place in the same category.
The American Prize, created last year and awarded for the first time this year, is judged through recorded performances. Choral Arts’ winning entry was their recent “Mornings Like This” CD. Seattle Pro Musica submitted a compilation of recent concert recordings that included excerpts from Frank Martin’s “Mass for Double Choir” (a studio recording of which can be found on SPM’s “Music of the Spirit”) and a movement from Ralph Vaughan Williams’ “Dona Nobis Pacem” (studio version on “Peace in Our Time”).
- Commissions by Pulitzer Prize winning composer Jennifer Higdon (somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond in 2007) and Fulbright Award winner Christopher Marshall (High Flight in 2009).
- Five concert programs with the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra; two programs with Orlando Ballet; additional collaborations with Mad Cow Theatre, Northern Kentucky Children’s Ensemble, Orlando Children’s Chorus, University High School choir and others.
- Performances at the Florida Vocal Association and Florida division of the American Choral Directors Association conferences.
- Premiered more than a dozen new works by young and unpublished composers through the ground-breaking Emerging Composers Initiative.
- Nurtured six young conductors through the Artistic Internship program.
- Mentored seven emerging choral music leaders as they served as assistant music directors of The Chorale.
- Enriched the lives of more than a dozen high school students through the Young Artists Choral Scholarship program.
- Donated thousands of dollars to local non-profits through the charitable giving program at performances.