- This topic is empty.
- February 15, 2020 at 5:21 pm #615365NathanielParticipant
Dear musical minds,
We have a new administrator coming in and I’d like to get your advice on adjusting what is a full schedule for me before I have another meeting with administration regarding scheduling. I have been the main music teacher at a small, Christian school with about 280 students reviving a music program that had been dead for about 10 years.
1. Preschool (2x a week for 30 minutes)
2. Kindergarten (2x a week for 30 minutes)
3. 1st (2x a week for 30 minutes)
4. 2nd (2x a week for 30 minutes)
5. 3rd (2x a week for 30 minutes)
6. 4th (2x a week for 30 minutes)
7. 5th (2x a week for 30 minutes)
8. 5th Beginning Band (4x a week for 45 minutes)
9. 6th-12th Concert Band (5x a week for 45 minutes)
10. 6th-8th MS Choir (5x a week for 45 minutes)
11. 9th-12th HS Choir (5x a week for 41 minutes) (41)
This year, the high school choir has been blend of choir and Bible class offered as a dual credit to help students who would not graduate otherwise because of a lack of credit. This has failed though because the second semester seniors that transfer in have no choral experience or interest in learning. I have asked to teach choir only instead of this failed hybrid.
I’m also losing several middle school choristers because once their math scores drop below a certain point, they are removed from my class with no notification and placed into a required math lab that meets during my class. I’m not quite sure of my roster because it depends on students mathematic ability. Also, many students join and quit once they realize I have high expectations and will not allow for talking, texting, disrespect, or eating in my class.
The elementary students learn well and have a great interest for music, but in high school I have low participation. I generally teach only 1-3 international students who make up 30-40% of the high school depending on the year. Scheduling-wise, choir has been placed against required academic courses. One year no freshmen were allowed to join choir because of another mandatory course placed against choir.
I’m struggling to build my program for several reasons and wondered if anyone has some helpful input?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.