Job Title: CHURCH CHOIR DIRECTOR (Part Time)
Salary: Currently $260 per month (fiscal year 2019-2020)
Location: Grace Baptist Church, 2507 N Vassault, Tacoma, WA 98406
About our Church:
We are a small Christian church located in North Tacoma. Grace is part of the Evergreen Association of the American Baptist Churches. We have a weekly Sunday service with attendance averaging around 50 people per service. Our services contain a blend of contemporary praise music and traditional hymn singing. We meet weekly for service on Sunday mornings at 10am, with services typically lasting around an hour.
Grace Baptist Choir: Our music director retired in June of 2019. We have a dedicated core group of volunteer singers that are faithful to the choir. The numbers have grown and dwindled throughout the years, as most church choirs do. Our weekly participation was approximately 7-10 singers with a mixture of SATB voicing. We have traditionally held weekly rehearsals, and performed every Sunday service from September – June, taking the summer off. There is a decent library of existing music, with a budget for purchasing new music as well. Because the new choir director position is part-time, rehearsals and performance expectations will be less frequent.
Choir Director responsibilities:
• Prepare the choir or small-group ensembles to perform anthems at least once a month.
• Minimum of 2 choir rehearsals per month (scheduling is flexible)
• Prepare special music selections for Christmas/Advent and Easter. This may include Cantata style music or multiple anthems to be performed on Christmas and Easter.
• Collaborate with the Worship Committee (monthly meetings set based on schedules of committee members).
• Previous experience directing a choir, or current enrollment in choral direction / music education classes.
• Flexibility with rehearsal schedules
• Christian beliefs and views
• Proficiency in an accompanying instrument (piano, guitar, etc) is desired though not required. We currently have qualified musicians for accompanying, but it never hurts to have more!
This position opening is currently part-time. However, it may expand to a wider role of responsibilities in the future, to include children or youth music ministries. Our fiscal year is from July 1 – June 30th, so salary packages can be discussed during annual budget discussions.