Bent, But Not Broken – Call for Scores
Winning submissions from two composers will be performed during the Bent, But Not Broken Conference in October 2021 by participating choirs. Composers will also receive mentoring from Graphite founders and composers Timothy C. Takach and Jocelyn Hagen. Submissions are due July 15, 2021.
Bent, But Not Broken is a four-day conference that amplifies the musical contributions of Black choral musicians and scholars across time and across genres. Combining performances from esteemed choral groups with discussions and workshops by the nation’s most knowledgeable scholars of music and history, this event is a community summit that will make visible—and audible!—the works of Black composers. Learn more about the conference here.
The conference will take place October 21-24, 2021, at The Choir School of Delaware in Wilmington, Delaware, and will also be made available online.
Composers who self-identify as Black are invited to submit original works for choir for inclusion at the Bent, But Not Broken conference. This call for scores is designed to intentionally create greater access for Black-identifying composers, and we are excited to welcome submissions from Black composers of all ages, gender expressions, and nationalities.
- Composers may submit up to two works for consideration.
- Works must be original, not arrangements of another composer’s work. For submissions of idiomatic compositions of gospel, jazz, and other styles originality is encouraged. New and innovative approaches to spirituals are also accepted.
- Works must be under 6 minutes in duration.
- Works must be scored for SATB, SAB, SA, or TB choir. (Divisi acceptable.)
- Works may be a cappella or accompanied by piano or organ. One additional obbligato instrument is also allowed.
- Works for smaller ensembles and children’s choirs are encouraged.
- Accessible works and easier pieces are encouraged.
- Works may not have been professionally performed or recorded.
- Texts must either be in the public domain or proof of permission granted to set the text must be included with the score. (A copy of a permission agreement or a written statement from the writer will suffice.)
- Arrangements of pre-existing works within the composer’s catalog are allowed so long as they adhere to the above requirements.
How to Submit
Submissions are due July 15, 2021.
- There is no fee for submission.
- Submissions are neither anonymous nor pseudonymous.
- Complete the online application form & upload PDFs.
- Mp3s may be uploaded but are not required.
- Notification of acceptance will go out by September 1, 2021.
2 Winners Will Receive:
- performance of winning work during the Bent, But Not Broken conference
- complimentary conference registration
- travel honorarium to attend the conference
- online masterclass with composers Jocelyn Hagen and Timothy C. Takach
Honorable Mentions may be awarded. Recipients would receive a complimentary conference registration and encouraged to attend, although no travel honorarium will be given.