Cantores, a small vocal ensemble in the Philadelphia PA area performing primarily a cappella choral music from the 15th through 21st centuries, is seeking Altos, Tenors and Basses/Baritones to round out the roster.
Cantores is made up of a group of friends who love to sing – choral musicians all. We are committed to excellence through choral performance. Our members have years of singing experience and are familiar with singing in various languages.
We rehearse weekly from 7:30-9:15 on either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, based on members’ schedules. We meet in the homes of some of our members on Philadelphia’s Main Line, making about equal parts music and fun.
Our repertoire is drawn from madrigals, anthems, motets, love songs, folk songs, spirituals, octavos, jazz arrangements and occasional popular music in settings for two to eight voice parts. We prepare one or two programs a year and give concerts in area retirement communities.
The current program is called Singin’ in the Spirit. It is a program of sacred and secular works from Renaissance madrigals and motets to 20th century octavos. Included will be works by Hassler, Pitoni, Vecchi, Morley, Weelkes, Distler, Finzi, and Gawthrup, among others.
Previous programs have included:
• A Musical Journey from Morning ‘til Night, including music by Pilkington, Brahms, Sullivan, Vaughan Williams, Dvořák, Finzi, Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, and Rodgers and Hammerstein;
• Music that’s truly for the Birds, a varied program from Renaissance madrigals to vocal jazz about or describing birds;
• Heart & Soul: Songs Sacred, Sentimental, and Silly including sacred and secular pieces from the 15th – 17th and 20th centuries;
• Comings and Goings, music describing the comings and goings of our lives;
• A Celebration of Love, madrigals to vocal jazz;
• A Celebration of Psalms, psalm settings from Germany, Italy, Great Britain and the Americas.