We are thrilled to announce our third annual Young & Emerging Composer Competition!
Cantus first began with four undergraduate students. They had passion, vision, and a desire to contribute meaningfully to the musical community. In our 2021-22 season, we are celebrating those student roots by providing an exciting opportunity for young and emerging composers.
Winner(s) will receive a $1000 cash prize. Honorable mentions will also be awarded. Winning compositions will be performed and recorded by Cantus and will also be considered for publication as part of a Cantus series. Compositions must be for tenor and bass voices written at a level accessible to collegiate and high school choirs. Special consideration will be given to pieces that relate to the following themes: immigration stories, home, identity and self-understanding, and finding the divine in all.
Submissions must include the following:
- A completed Application Form
- A cappella composition for tenor and bass (TTBB with limited divisi)
- Midi-file and piano reduction (PDF only)
- Personal statement (PDF only)
- Translation if submitting with non-english text
- $10 submission fee (click the PayPal button below)
Applications must be submitted electronically by May 15, 2021.