2022 Edwin Fissinger Choral Composition Prizes
NDSU Challey School of Music honors the legacy and traditions of noted choral composer and long-time NDSU choral conductor Edwin Fissinger with its annual choral composition competition.
Entries should be:
• for mixed choir (SATB), divisi is acceptable
• unaccompanied, or with keyboard accompaniment, obbligato instruments ok
• three to eight minutes in duration
• original and unpublished (by an established commercial firm) works only.
• The text may be sacred or secular, either in the public domain or copyrighted, as long as a letter of permission from the copyright owner is included with the submission
• suitable for an accomplished high school or university choir
Prizes / Performance
• First: $1,500
• Second: $1,000
• NDSU reserves the right to not award prizes in any given year.
• The composer of the first prize work is invited to be present at the NDSU Concert Choir performance.
• For the performance, NDSU will reimburse actual travel, lodging and food expenses, up to a maximum of $1,000.
• Winners will be announced on https://www.ndsu.edu/performingarts/music/ by November 1, 2022.
• The first prize winner’s piece, with the approval of the composer, will have their composition considered for publication in Pavane Publishing for placement in the Jo Ann Miller Choral Series.
• Jo Ann Miller, Director of Choral Activities, NDSU
• Michael Weber, Associate Director of Choral Activities, NDSU
• Charlette Moe, Assistant Director of Choral Activities and Music Education, NDSU
• Jocelyn Hagen, Composer, Adjunct composition faculty, NDSU
• Allan Petker, Pavane Publishing
• Submission Guidelines
• There is a $25 submission fee for each work submitted.
• Include name, address, phone number(s), and email address when making payment via NDSU Store Front or if paying by check, in a sealed envelope accompanying the score.
• Submitted scores must be in Finale or Sibelius.
• An audio file is strongly recommended.
• All scores selected for performance will be reproduced by NDSU.
• Submissions must be submitted via email by 11:59 PM on September 1, 2022.
• Email PDF submissions and audio files to:
• If not submitting a PDF, mail submissions to:
Dr. Jo Ann Miller, NDSU Challey School of Music, Dept 2334, PO Box 6050, Fargo, ND 58108-6050 with a postmark of September 1, 2022.