I think of innovation as adding poetry to life. To be POETIC requires the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm. This is what I call innovation in life. In the case of innovation, that distinctive style of living and working “poetically” means doing things differently. Using POETIC as both a definition and an acronym for innovation, start thinking in these terms:
- Thinking innovatively is first about P, for People: Thinking innovatively requires we have empathy for the people we work with and serve, imagining the world through the perspective of others, and in fact, through multiple people perspectives;
- Thinking innovatively is about O, for Optimistic thinking: Knowing that there is at least one breakthrough idea that will come along for your solution if you keep at it;
- Thinking innovatively is about E, for Experimentation: This involves a process of trial and error as we think through various solutions. It also requires the belief in an Emergent idea that will come as a result of the process;
- Thinking innovatively is about T, for Tension. Change never comes easy, and change means there will be opposition. Wade in the Water!
- Thinking innovatively is about I, for Integrating parts of a problem toward a breakthrough Idea that brings a solution to the pursuit of the challenge;
- Thinking innovatively is about C, for Collaboration and Collaborative thinking, drawing from the skills and knowledge of others and not relying solely on oneself.
Live the POETIC life!