Open Choral Workshop/Retreat Hosted by San Gabriel Valley Choral Company (8/16-17, Monrovia, CA
Event Date: August 16, 2014
Posted: August 5, 2014
Location: California, USA
San Gabriel Valley Choral Company
Zanaida Robles, Artistic Director
Open Community Choir Workshop Retreat
Saturday, August 16 from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Retreat
Sunday, August 17 from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. – Warm-up and church service performance (Optional)
First Presbyterian Church, 101 E. Foothill Blvd., Monrovia.
Registration: $40 (Includes music and lunch)
Join the San Gabriel Valley Choral Company (SGVCC) for our second annual Summer Retreat/Workshop! It's an open community choir retreat and workshop designed to connect SGVCC singers with other Southern California singers. There is also an optional Sunday morning performance of one of the retreat pieces as the anthem at First Presbyterian Church. Current or prospective SGVCC singers, other singers, concert goers, and anyone who supports classical music performance and education in the San Gabriel Valley area are all welcome to attend.
We will sing a preview of music for the upcoming 2014-2015 season, selected from the following repertoire:
1. Total Praise - Smallwood (a cappella; for church on Sunday morning 8/17)
2. Magnificat - Samuel Coleridge-Taylor
3. Sing We and Chant it - Morley (public domain)
4. Three Caroling tunes: Carol of the Bells, Lo, How A Rose, Deck the hall (public domain)
5. Selections from BWV 4 Christ Lag in Todes Banden (public domain)
6. Ye Shall Have a Song - Hailstork
7. Eja, Mater, fons amoris from Stabat Mater - Dvorak (possibly public domain)
8. All the Things you Are - Jerome Kern; arr. Kirby Shaw
9. Duel of the Fates from Star Wars Episode I
During the retreat, we will do fun warmups and choir-building activities, enjoy lunch, and read through selected works from our upcoming SGVCC concert season.
There is a registration fee of $40 which covers the cost of music and staff for the event and includes lunch. Please keep in mind this is an open retreat for the entire community, and participants need not be current members of SGVCC in order to participate. So please spread the word, and bring a singer with you.